Thursday, 22 March 2012

A new baby quilt

Friends of ours are expecting a new addition, of the pink variety.  I had planned to make a quilt for her.  The baby is due VERY soon.

Part of my new years resolution was to push myself, to try new techniques and really make a dint in some of this fabric I have here.  I had a fat 1/8th pack of pink, red and black fabrics, with a special cut of the delightful Minnie Mouse.  Stars have been on my to do list for a while, and here was the perfect opportunity to give them a go.  I followed the tutorial by the lovely Victoria Gertenbach.  

I had lots of fun putting these together.

I had a vague plan about how I envisioned the quilt top, so it was nice to see it come together.

I used a grey homespun from my stash, which has given the desired effect, modern, yet versatile!!!

I decided the quilt top needed borders and have pieced a border to run either side, then used a border strip of red, top and bottom to frame it.  I have some red and pink fabric which will be perfect for binding, or maybe I'll use a black and white spot.  I am still deciding.

The backing is a single piece of pink fabric I had left over from Tenille's 'Sophie' Quilt from last year.  It was her suggestion in fact, that got me to get it our and audition it.  It will also help to disguise some of the free motion quilting which I am going to attempt on this one.  I am stencilling the quilting pattern on the front now, and will hopefully have some progress to show.

1 comment:

  1. Very sweet quilt so far! Loving the Minnie fabric!

    Good luck with the FMQ - look forward to seeing your progress with it :)