Monday, 24 June 2013

Moving Eve

So the time has finally come, where we can start getting things moved and settled into the new property.

I spent today doing mundane chores like connecting the electricity, gas, water and phone.  Hopefully, we have a smooth transition with all these services.  Time will tell, hey?

On the quilting front, we are preparing (read *hubby*) to pull the longarm apart ready for the BIG move on the weekend.  The table top needs to come out the second story window of the shop! 

 I have machine plans, itemized lists of parts and a camera ready to go.  Photographing every step of the way will help put it back together.  Thankfully, I have called in a bunch of techno savvy friends who will help.

I am definitely going to have to colour my hair after this move.  It is sending me grey!

See you on the flip side … with a Gammill Longarm in my quilting room.  WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Test Drive

What a day!

Only a week ago I was stressing that we would be homeless with a machine worthy of a truck to move it.  On the Caz Scale of Anxiety, this would be right up there at the top.  

I am so pleased to announce that we have a place to live!  This has coincided nicely with the arrival of the Gammill.  We shall get the keys to the new house and be able to move the machine straight into its new home in the sun room.  Happy Days!

I did need to actually go to the shop for more than just a looksy.  It was planned ages ago, but in true form, I had to make up my practise quilt between getting the kids ready for school this morning, dropping them off, and then signing lease agreements.

I knew that any quilting I did on the machine, on my first go would be rough.  I didn’t want to dive into the stash and piece anything, and certainly didn’t have anything prepared.  I put my thinking cap on, and came up with a solution that came together in about 10 minutes.

Master 8 (Yesterday … Happy Birthday Lachlan XX) had a doona cover which had ripped when being taken off for a wash.  It was his first doona cover on his big bed, when moving from his cot.  It has his favourite animal on it … DOGS.  I had stuck it in the scrap bucket to save for a rainy day.  I had thought I might cut it up and use it in a project down the track.  It was perfect.  I trimmed off the sides, so that I had a top and back.  Then the top was trimmed further so that the backing was bigger by about 4 inches all around.  A scrap piece of leftover cotton batting was the perfect size.  Ready to go in 10 minutes flat!

I am pleased to say that some of what Kay showed me using her machine, has stuck.  I did have to be shown the correct way to load again, but this will become easier with practise.  The electronic winder makes loading and advancing the quilt a dream!!

I am not at all daunted by free motion quilting from the front of the machine, however a pantograph is something that I had no clue about how to calculate, load and measure.  It was this that the lovely Steph, guided me through today.  I wasn’t fussy about the pantograph pattern as my son won’t notice.  I also was not worried about the thread colour.  I changed colours in the bobbin halfway through, just using up odd filled bobbins that were there and wouldn’t get used.

I am pleased to report I had a blast.  I can see how I need to improve in places and learn to listen to the machine a little more.  Being a non stitch regulated machine … I am going to be concentrating on slowing down and being more precise.  Points will improve too.  

I have been on a high all afternoon.  I had planned to square and bind tonight, but a little man had other ideas.  

 It is with him in bed, untrimmed and unbound.  The sure sign of a quilt, that will be loved for a long time.


Sunday, 2 June 2013


I have been quiet on the blog; there are several reasons for this, so please excuse this overly wordy post!

Good news first!  A new niece means I can sew the label to the appropriate quilt and gift it.  

 The kids have been overjoyed with the arrival and quickly headed for a cuddle.  I have yet to meet the bundle of sweetness, as I have been caught up with work, illness and finding somewhere to live!!

Yes, that is right!  Three weeks before I need to remove the machine from its present home … I need to find a new one for all of us!  Maybe this is a blessing in disguise?  However, after 14 years in the one house … I can say it is not a pleasant experience.  As we are not fortunate enough to own our own piece of real estate, and probably never will … we shall have to rely on the kindness of some random real estate.  Let’s hope our long history as a reliable tenant is looked upon favourably.  I need a really big room, and this is more difficult than I expected.  After all it is a 14 foot table!

All this upheaval has me unable to sew, quilt or even think about it.  So sad, and I really can’t wait till all the anxiety settles and I feel like creating again.  In the mean time, I am working on some blocks for an exchange.  This exchange is inspired by THE controversial quilt shown recently at Quilt Con. I have been drawing out my design and getting the components ready.  If you follow modern quilting at all, you will know the one.  I am so excited by this project.  It mirrors my sentiments ( …and potty mouth) regarding my current situation.  I am seeing this as something to pull me out of my quilthole!